Have you ever tried to communicate across multiple people only to find your message lost in translation? Maybe some people found your points to be well supported. Maybe others got lost in the midst of your presentation due to detail overload. This is because different types of communicators exist in the workplace.
Economist’s 2018 survey on workplace communication reveals that 42% of employees think poor communication in the workplace originates from different communication styles. Understanding these differences is a start to reduce communication barriers. You will communicate more clearly and deliver information in a way recipients want to receive it.
Personalities and learning styles play a profound influence on how people communicate. There are 4 common types of communicators:
- Analytical Communicators
- Intuitive Communicators
- Functional Communicators
- Personal Communicators
Strong communication skills are essential for long term career success. Learn who each communicator is and how to better adapt to each style for more effective workplace communication.
They lead with data.
Who are analytical communicators?
Analytical communicators are direct. They rely on solid data and facts for explanation. They avoid emotional validation when thinking. A linear approach is taken when communicating with others. Very specific language is used to convey messages. They have the ability to make rational decisions without emotions clouding their judgement.
How to communicate with analytical communicators?
- Make points using supportive data and facts.
- Be articulate and logical.
- Approach them when ideas are completely formulated.
- Give them time to think it through and form conclusions without pressure.
- When making recommendations, show examples of outcomes for both sides of the argument.
- Answer questions with well thought out responses.
They lead with the big picture.
Who are intuitive communicators?
Intuitive communicators are concise. They rely on visuals for details and like having options. They want to understand the high level overview and avoid being held back by details. They are big picture thinkers and rarely get overwhelmed. Decision making is prompt without over analyzing specifics.
How to communicate with intuitive communicators?
- Make points from a big picture context.
- Show a variety of ideas.
- Use visuals to aid discussions.
- Discuss high level before going into details.
- Focus on end results rather than intricate processes.
They lead with process.
Who are functional communicators?
Functional communicators are systematic. They believe in structured processes. They want to understand execution in a step by step format. Organization and sequential outlines are essential to avoid mishaps. Details and established practices influence decision making.
How to communicate with functional communicators?
- Address points methodically with orderliness.
- Establish a purpose before initiating conversation.
- Focus on processes from start to finish.
- Show projects details with timelines and milestones.
- Ask specific questions to create detailed processes.
They lead with emotion.
Who are personal communicators?
Personal communicators are diplomatic. They value people’s thoughts and feelings. They prioritize relationships. Establishing rapport at a personal level is important to them. They are approachable, great listeners, and advisors. They are perceptive to shifts in people’s moods. Being the mediator to resolve conflict is their strength. They make decisions through consultation to weigh in on different perspectives.
How to communicate with personal communicators?
- Use emotional triggers to address points.
- Be authentic and relatable.
- Be a good listener.
- Relate to emotions through your thoughts on a topic.
- Show receptivity to different points of view.
Everyone presents and processes information in different ways. It is important to understand how those around us communicate. With this knowledge, you can tailor your communication to relay more effective messages. Staying cognizant of the 4 types of communicators will boost your confidence as an effective conversationalist, increase productivity, and make more of your brilliant ideas shareable across the organization.
At RGBSI, we deliver total workforce management, engineering, quality lifecycle management, and IT solutions that provide strategic partnership for organizations of all sizes. We leverage our expertise to fill workforce gaps and deliver full range business solutions that optimize client operations worldwide.